Wednesday, June 17, 2020

The Bike

In 2018 I took the decision  to invest in a Honda CRF250 Rally. After having had it for a couple of years now and provoked by the tedium induced by the Covid-19 lockdown; my thoughts have turned to making the CRF into a RTW ready machine, just in case I am ever in the position to head off into the sunset before the world goes into an inevitable meltdown. Again.


I was very keen on the new Yamaha T7; but got tired of waiting and was seduced by the light side. I'm keeping the XT660 Tenere (currently reduced to commuting duties, oh the ignominy!! But I couldn't part with such a reliable old friend!) and the T7 may make an appearance in the future, but for now, Honda has prevailed.
So, why the move to a smaller bike in the age of ever increasing CCs and complex electrickery? Well, inspiration came through the exploits of people like Nathan Millward and Ed March (among countless others); both of whom completed big trips on small machines. If speed isn't your #1 criteria, then smaller bikes offer more versatility. Cheaper to buy, run, carnet and ship; lighter, better fuel economy etc,etc. The list goes on.
While not quite ready to go for something as small as a C90 (Ed March) or a 105cc Aussie postal bike (Nathan Millward), the CRF seemed like a reasonable compromise in terms of size. It was a keeper from the moment I bought it; enormous fun to ride, with a huge grin factor. Sure, it isn't for everyone, but I love it. I am sure you could just jump on and ride off as it comes out the factory, but tinkering with and modding the steed is all part of the fun, right?
NB: all mods MUST have a significant, tangible benefit. Keeping the extra weight to a minimum and no bling for blings sake!
So brace yourselves for increasingly tedious posts about what I do to personalize my new(ish) toy.

Soundtrack: "Blog maggot" - Sleaford Mods

No comments:

Post a Comment

Engine crash bars

Wasn't going to go for these as I didn't want to add too much extra weight. However, on a ride out to Loomies cafe I met another CRF...